In 1951, a small band of courageous missionaries, driven by a love of Jesus Christ and a dedication to His service, embarked for Liberia, under the SIM mission board. On a 130-acre campus (located on the Atlantic Ocean outside of Monrovia, the capital of Liberia) donated by the Liberian government, they established ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa), which eventually grew to operate a 50-bed hospital, a 400-student K-9 Christian elementary school, a youth camp and a Christian radio station with the call letters of ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa). ELWA Radio was the first Christian radio station built in all of Africa and it has broadcast the gospel throughout Liberia and neighboring countries for more than 57 years.
The radio station and many of the buildings were destroyed in Liberia's devastating 14-year civil war. The country's infrastructure (water, electricity, sewer, roads, etc.) was demolished. Even more significantly, the war left thousands of orphans, emotional and physical scars for the Liberian people, and a total absence of education for an entire generation of Liberians. Liberia is slowly recovering, and ELWA and its various ministries are being rebuilt with the vision of committed Liberian Staff, and the direction of SIM (Serving In Mission).